Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Enough already

According to the weather guy on the radio we here in Maine are in the midst of the first official heat wave we've experienced since 2002. And heat wave it is. After a couple of days last week when there were intimations of fall -- pleasantly cool mornings, warm sunny days but with very low humidity -- all of a sudden we're getting five days in a row of high temps in the mid-90s. For Maine, at the end of August, that is really bizarre.

We've had a really good summer, for those who like summer weather. The people who have camps they trek out to on weekends, or for a few weeks, have been loving it, as have all the out-of-state visitors, and all the businesses that depend on all those tourists. I've been happy for those folks, even as I have spent most of the summer hiding out in my little air-conditioned house, avoiding the heat to the extent possible.

But even all the people who have been enjoying the summer, are ready for it to end. Mainers simply are not hot-weather folk, or they wouldn't live here. Fall, wonderful, spring, nice, winter, actually enjoy unless it's too brutal or goes on for too long, but too much hot summer weather? Boo, hiss.

But whater ya gonna do? I close my library, because it's too hot for my staff to be working in, and I come home to my air-conditioned house, and wait for fall.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your suffering in the terrible heat wave you have been having. As you know different people have different tolerances for heat and cold. I have felt my share of cold. No more, please. I suspect that what you may need is a bit of comparison with our 110 degree days. I feel that any temp over 100 begins to be uncomfortable. Of course, we have A/C in this modern age and with mine set to 82 I have no problem. Cliff

Melody said...

Yes, I do realize that many folks out there regularly live with equally hot or hotter temps, and for longer periods (e.g., in my native Texas -- which is where my friend Cliff resides -- summer is eight months long). However, this is one of those "everything's relative" situations. For *Mainers* this is, shall we say, "hot stuff."